Great Northern TPO no 2178 was built as a 6 wheeled articulated coach in 1885 at Doncaster.
It was built with two traductor arms and a high sided net. 2178 was the first of four vehicles built to diagram 319 and has a corridor connection at one end only and is 24 feet long.
Whilst the coach is listed as being withdrawn in March 1935, in 1927 the coach body (minus equipment) was moved to Balby, near Doncaster and used as a shop/meeting room for The Allotment Society. We know this thanks for a local newspaper report at the time complete with a picture.
The vehicle was brought to the attention of the NVR TPO group in late 2004 and moved to the NVR in August 2005. It is currently on a flat wagon with a specially made coach cover to keep out the elements (As tarpaulins have a tendency to simply get water pooled in one or two areas, rotting the coach just as quick).
The body is all teak and has been well preserved by the allotment society who built lean-tos on either side and covered the whole structure in roofing felt. They also preserved some of the internal features by reusing many parts, for example the sliding doors for the corridor connector were taken out and used as shelving.
It is undecided how this coach will displayed in Night Mail. Fundamentally restoration would involve destroying most of the original timber and historical value of the coach.